Texas Civil Rights Project is seeking candidates for the role of Finance and Accounting Manager. The ideal candidate will be capable of multitasking in a fast-paced environment with a focus on process and accuracy. This position will be part of the Finance & Operations team and report to the Director of Finance and Administration.
Texas Civil Rights Project comprises five different offices across the state with over 40 employees. TCRP has grown tremendously over the last couple of years and we are looking for our next Finance and Accounting Manager to help us keep up with the growth.
About the Texas Civil Rights Project
We are Texas lawyers for Texas communities, boldly serving the movement for equality and justice in and out of the courts. In our thirty year history, the Texas Civil Rights Project has brought thousands of strategic lawsuits to protect and expand voting rights, challenge the injustices in our broken criminal justice system, and advance racial and economic justice.
We use our tools of litigation, legal advocacy, and communication strategies to protect and advance the civil rights of everyone in Texas and we partner with communities across the state to serve the rising movement for social justice. We undertake our work with a vision of a Texas in which all communities can thrive with dignity, justice and without fear.
The Finance & Operations team provides the foundation to allow our organization to achieve its mission and help make Texas a better place to live.
Learn more at www.txcivilrights.org
Overview of Key Responsibilities
- Establishes and/or maintains internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions
- Oversees preparation of business activity reports, financial forecasts, and project budgets
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles
- Manages accounts payables and accounts receivable; ensures prompt collection of receivables and timely payments of invoices, bills and staff reimbursements
- Maintains Expense Management System (Concur) and ensures all staff are trained to submit expenses in a timely fashion and creates and enforces travel and reimbursement policies for organization
- Coordinates and submits materials for annual audit
- Ensures timely processing of all year-end documents, including 1099’s and W-2’s.
- Completes daily bank reconciliations
- Assists Director of Finance and Administration with board reporting, presentations and the development of the board's financial dashboard
- Assists Director of Finance and Administration in drafting and monitoring the organization's annual budget
- Reviews budget variances and reports significant issues to the Director of Finance and Administration; works with the Director of Finance and Administration and leadership team to resolve variances between budget and actual expenditures
Ideal candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Commitment to mission and vision of TCRP
- Bachelor's degree plus 7 years of professional experience, preferably within the nonprofit sector; or a combination of education and experience that meets the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, anti-racism, inclusion and social justice
- Strong familiarity with Quickbooks
- Experience with employee reimbursement software
- Minimum intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and of generally accepted accounting principles, practices, standards, laws, and regulations
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of financial record-keeping
- Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively and with a wide range of personalities in a professional, productive manner
- Extraordinary attention to detail and skillful organization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment, take initiative, solve problems and quickly respond to urgent matters as they arise.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to—and effectively collaborate with—colleagues who do not have finance or accounting backgrounds
TCRP is a unionized workplace and salaries are on a tiered pay-scale based on years of experience per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The starting salary for this position is $59,000. TCRP also offers excellent benefits, professional development opportunities and a deep commitment to a meaningful work-life balance. We envision and work towards an organization that reflects the communities we serve and a culture of radical inclusion, continuous growth, and openness. TCRP benefits include: employer-paid health insurance, four weeks paid vacation, eight weeks paid family leave (with avenues to extend leave to 14 weeks in total), a $500 professional development budget annually, and extensive holidays, including a two week winter break. This position is FLSA exempt, and does not qualify for overtime compensation. A minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, are expected. .
Inclusion & Non-Discrimination
TCRP values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture — women, Black and other people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, creed, religion, physical ability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, previous incarceration, languages spoken, socioeconomic status, veteran status, union membership or activism, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.
The applicant can expect to travel <10%.
How to Apply
To apply, please follow this link. For consideration, the deadline to apply is 11:59pm central time on 01/10/2021
Note: If you have been chosen for an interview you will be notified before the new year but interviews will begin in January 2021.
Note: TCRP is currently operating under a remote work policy until March 31, 2021 with all of our physical offices closed. The Finance & Operations team is based out of the Austin office and is the preferred location for this position. However, if you are the right candidate we can discuss working in one of our other offices in Texas (Alamo, Dallas, Houston or San Antonio).